Monday 2 June 2014

#Bookaday - Day 1 & 2

Eh.


Forgot that I was going to do #Bookaday this month...  In essence, it is a chance for book lovers to share old favourites, new favourites and general book-related things.


Day 1 - Favourite book from childhood.


Well...  If we go riiiiiiight back, I guess it was 'My Day' by Lynne Bradbury.  It is a toddler book by Ladybird, which documents a day in the life of a baby.  It is all terrible white middle-class in the 70s, so is terribly dated and non-PC now.  But I loved it as a baby.
As a slightly older child, I loved the 'Alfie and Annie Rose' stories by Shirley Hughes.  They told the story of Alfie, who is about 4 or 5, and his toddler sister, Annie Rose.  Lovely, gentle stories, with beautiful illustrations.  I also loved 'Dogger' by the same author and 'Burglar Bill' by Janet and Allan Alhberg.
Getting even older, I enjoyed all the Roald Dahl books immensely.  'Matilda' and 'The Witches' were probably my 2 favourites.  I also liked 'The Famous Five' and The 'Malory Towers/St Clares' school stories by Enid Blyton.
Basically, picking a childhood favourite is too hard.  Tastes change so much during childhood, that to pin down one is very tricky!


Day 2 - Best Bargain.


A few years ago now, on LiveJournal I believe.  I happened to mention that I loved the James Herriot series of vet stories, but was sad that I didn't have my own copies.  Then the lovely Zoe piped up that she had them, had no interest in keeping them any longer, and would I like them?  YES!
I now have the complete James Herriot collection on my bookshelf.  A series that I love, that are great at cheering me up if I feel a bit under the weather, and all for free!  Thank you Zoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment