Sunday 15 December 2013

The Weekend Update

1:  I've now completed two weeks at New School.  Had a baptism by fire on Thursday/Friday as the teacher who I'm working with called in sick, so the 29 kids were all mine.  Also didn't have any teaching assistant support from most of the time, so it was a bit hectic, but ultimately went fine.  On Friday afternoon, the Head caught me to say that I'd done really well with my unexpected two days. :)  So that's good news.

2:  Just completed some maths planning for the first week back after Christmas.  It's actually been quite a while since I've done planning completely on my own.  Last time I taught Year 1, Steve and I did all the planning together, so to be on my own with it is new.  But it's fine.  A bit of a slow process while I get back into the swing of it, but nothing too difficult.  I'm glad I have that bank of mental ideas though.  I imagine it would be hard to do as an NQT.  My opposite number in Year 1 is an NQT, and responsible for the literacy planning.  That'll be something I'll have to keep an eye on. ;)

3:  Not really done much else this week, apart from school.  This coming week is the last week before Christmas, so there's lots of Christmasy activities planned.  Parties, performances etc.  Enough to keep us busy, certainly!  My aim for the evenings during this coming week is to get ahead on my planning for the new term.  I think I'll have enough to keep up on with marking etc, without having to worry about planning as well.  Although, saying that, "worry" is too strong a word.  Perhaps just "think about" will do. 

4:  The girl I maths tutor on a Thursday night is coming along nicely.  She did much better than last time on her school end-of-term maths test, which makes me look good.  She's asked to have a session on equivalent fractions, mixed numbers and improper fractions this coming week!  OMG.  Had to find out what they were!  Easy though, I can teach that, no problem, now I know what it is.  Quite easy actually. :)

5:  Went to swap Xmas pressies with Adele yesterday.  They've decided to permanently adopt the dog they were fostering, Ziggy.  He's a sweetie and spent most of the time I was there trying to be on my lap.  What a baby.

6:  Went to Tescos today and bought the 'Friends' boxset.  It's been around for years in various guises, but I've resisted buying it.  Yesterday though, I saw it for £45, which, for about 100 hours of TV, is good value.  I used to have them all in individual season boxsets, but I seem to have lost a good number of the discs...  I can only guess that I put them somewhere during my various house moves, and don't know where they are any more. 
For years, I've wanted to watch 'Friends' from start to end, in the right order, so now I can do that easily. :D
I also bought myself 2 jumpers.  I seem to have lots of thin jumpers, which aren't much thicker than a long-sleeve t-shirt, and lots of hoodies and cardis.  But have very few normal thickness/normal arm length jumpers.  I bought a stripy one back in the summer and have worn it loads, which shows there is a gap in my wardrobe for that sort of thing.  So got two more.  Yay!

7:  Heading over to Shropshire this coming Saturday for Christmas.  It starts on a high Saturday night with the annual Ticklerton Tea with the extended family.  It's been good fun in the past and is becoming something of a tradition.  Should be good, and crowded!

8:  All is okay with my new car.  I'm getting to know it and am resolved to keeping it clean and tidy, at least internally.  It's definitely bigger than the old car, which is good.  The trip to Shropshire on Saturday will be the first long drive I've done in it.

I think that's it for now.
I shall try and update with my annual Christmas message before the day.

Toodles for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment